Letter Writing Format – Sample Letters, Formal Letter, Informal Letter, Letter to the Government
A letter is one person’s written message to another pertaining to some matter of common concern.
Letters are of two types –
1. Formal Letter
2. Informal Letter
A Letter written for a formal purpose is called a Formal letter. It addresses a serious issue.
Let us discuss the types of formal letter –
Types of Formal letter
1. Letter to the editor
2. Letter to the Government
3. Letter to the police
4. Letter to the principal
5. Order letter
6. Complaint letter
7. Inquiry letter
8. Business letter
9. Application letter
FORMAL LETTER FORMAT
Format of a Formal Letter includes:
The following points need to be taken into consideration while writing a Formal letter-
a. A Formal Letter strictly follows the prescribed Format for writing a Formal Letter.
b. Use of colloquial words, abbreviations and slang language should be restricted while writing a Formal letter.
c. A Formal Letter must be precise and to the point.
d. The Subject line is very important in a Formal Letter.
The Format of a Formal Letter is as follows –
1. Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
2. Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
3. Receiver’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail (the officer / principal / Editor) is written here.
4. Subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letter forms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
5. Salutation (Sir / Respected sir / Madam)
6. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give a detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect. (For example, a solution to your problem, to highlight an issue in the newspaper, etc).
7. Complimentary Closing
8. Sender’s name, signature and designation (if any)
|Body of the letter|
|Sender’s Name, signature and designation|
Check out this Video for Complete info on Letter Writing
A Letter written for an informal purpose is called an Informal letter. It is written for a casual purpose.
Let us discuss the types of informal letter –
Types of Informal letter
1.Letter to parents
2. Letter to siblings
3. Letter to friends
4. Letter to classmates
5. Letter to neighbours
For complete details please see: Informal letter Format, Examples, Topics. What is informal Letter?
Format of an Informal Letter
The following points need to be followed while writing an Informal letter-
a) An Informal Letter does not strictly follow the prescribed Format.
b) The language of an Informal Letter must be friendly and casual.
c) An Informal Letter can have extra information.
d) The Subject line is not required in an Informal Letter.
The Format of an Informal Letter is as follows –
1. Address: The address of the sender is followed by that of the receiver.
2. Date: The date is written below the address after leaving one line.
3. Salutation / Greeting (Dear / Hi / Hello)
4. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
a) Paragraph 1: beginning
b) Paragraph 2: Main content.
c) Paragraph 3: ending
5. Sender’s name and signature.
|Body of the letter|
|Sender’s Name and signature|
Here are some solved questions on Letter Writing
1. Write a letter to the Mayor of your city seeking a solution to the problem of water logging in your area. You are Raj / Rani of Dharma Colony, Ramgarh.
|14 / 8, Dharma Colony
|Date: 23 August 2018|
|Subject: Complaint regarding the problem of water logging in Dharma Colony|
|Sir / Madam|
|I am Raj, a resident of Dharma Colony. The residents of the area are facing a lot of problems due to water logging.
Every year in the monsoon season, the area gets filled with water as the drainage system gets choked. We have requested the area committee many times, but the situation is still the same. The residents’ lives have become miserable as many water – borne diseases have spread. All the houses are submerged, and we are facing a tough time.
Please consider the issue as serious and find a solution at the earliest.
2. You are Garima / Gaurav. Write a letter to your friend Sanjana / Sanjay, inviting her / him to your birthday party. Give details regarding the day, time, venue, etc. Add interesting details like theme, dress code, etc.
|45, Jan Marg
Delhi.33, Khan Gali
|Date: 21 August 2018|
|Hi! You are invited to my birthday party on 25th August.
The party will be at Archie’s Place, Nehru Park from 4:00 to 7:00 PM. As the party is based on ‘Spiderman’ theme, please wear a dress in red / black colour combination. It will be fun as I have arranged a Mask game, a ‘Spidey’ web game and a never – seen – before neon light and music show. I am very excited as I will wear the special Spidey costume designed by my sister. Please come as it will be good to have your company. Also, bring your brother Saurav.
Waiting for your confirmation.