Recycling is a process of turning waste into new material or product. This is an outstanding way to protect the environment and decrease universal carbon emissions. Recycling means converting waste material into something usable. Products like – Glass, paper, plastic, and metals such as aluminum and steel are all usually recycled.
Recycling is necessary if we want to protect this world for our prospect generations. We make new products from the old unused products. By reusing and not throwing your old products, you are actually recycling. Recycling, an old practice with numerous modern applications is significant to the natural environment as well as human beings. It refers to the revival and reuse of resources from spent products.
LONG AND SHORT ESSAY ON RECYCLING IN ENGLISH
The Environmental policy majorly includes recycling as its part. This is mainly because of the increased costs of solid and hazardous-waste disposal, the scarcity of natural resources, and the growing concern over polluted land, water, and air. Here are essays on recycling of varying lengths to help you with the topic in your exam. You can select any recycling essay according to your need:
RECYCLING ESSAY 1 (200 WORDS)
It all goes back to the history of recycling. Starting in 1900, people recycled pots, pans, and other metals by melting them down. But as more plastic products were made, Recycling got confusing and codes were created. Thus, recycling codes are important so you know what to recycle. Now, recycling is more important than ever. Incentive programs are encouraging people to recycle more and help the environment. Recycling is done all over the world. In certain countries, some programs pay you for recycling products. Recycling is the third ‘R’ of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. As you contribute your bit towards recycling and making the environment clean, keep the following in mind:
- If you don’t need something then don’t buy it. By this, you would be reducing the amount of waste you produce.
- If there is a necessity to buy, go for something that has very less amount of packing, the product that can be reused or something that can be composted. Buy products that are eco-friendly.
- Try buying the products that are made of recycled material. Paper and plastic are some examples of recycled products.
Before throwing anything, think a way to reuse that item. Plastic containers can be used to store items in the refrigerator. Old items can be given to charitable organizations where they can be utilized. Cans and containers can be used as flower pots in the garden.
RECYCLING ESSAY 2 (300 WORDS)
Recycling helps in defending the environment in addition to providing a lot of usable products to the community without the need for additional resources. Its significance can be seen in numerous ways. It is essential to educate the public about its importance so that they contribute towards it wholeheartedly.
Why is recycling important?
Below are the reasons in which recycling can be helpful:
- Recycling Saves the Earth – Recycling a product can facilitate in preserving the environment. For example, recycling the paper can result in paper production without cutting more trees.
- Recycling Saves Energy – Recycling a product needs less energy than to create an article from virgin material. For example, an aluminum product uses both the aluminum and the vast amount of energy to create it from raw. Thus by recycling an aluminum item, we can reuse the metal again and also save the huge energy which helps protect the environment.
- Recycling Helps in Reducing Global Warming and Reduce Pollution – One of the main benefits of recycling is saving energy. Energy saving results in less release of carbon or greenhouse gases which are a byproduct formed by energy production, which is injurious and detrimental to the environment if released into the atmosphere.
- Recycling Reduces Waste Products in Landfills – Waste that cannot be recycled typically ends up in the landfill. It is here that the waste is left to decay, rot or decompose, and this might take numerous years to fully decompose. More and more waste is being sent to the landfills, and if recycling does not happen than the landfill might be right behind our homes in the future.
- Recycling helps in saving money – Recycled articles typically cost less. By using old material and a lot less energy, the recycled product can be sold for a very less amount as compared to items made using virgin materials. Apart from this, selling waste for recycling converts garbage into cash.
Recycling can also be done at home, and taught to the children as a good habit to be nurtured. Biodegradable waste can be used as compost for plants.
RECYCLING ESSAY 3 (400 WORDS)
Recycling is essential for the environment. The government must invest in setting up systems to promote this practice. Individuals must also make some efforts to recycle whatever they can. The importance of recycling has been emphasized numerous times however still many people refrain from it.
Reasons Why People Don’t Recycle?
- Recycling is Inconvenient
The primary reason according to a survey conducted for not recycling was that people don’t find this practice as convenient or accessible to them. It means they have to take the extra step for dropping their household waste at the scrap dealer or recycling center. There aren’t enough recycling bins in many apartments or societies. Somebody who is not interested might just think there is no recycling program but it isn’t true. Recycling requires a little effort as you won’t see a scrap drop off center until you look for it.
- People don’t Understand Recycling
Another reason for not recycling is that people are not able to differentiate between the recyclable and non-recyclable products. According to them, recycling is confusing.
- Space Constraint
People generally have small houses and lack of space is an issue for many. They don’t want to see junk lying around their house where space is a problem.
- I will recycle only if I am paid
This is also a lame excuse which people give when asked about recycling. According to them disposing of the scrap does not pay them well or there is no incentive involved. Many of the people don’t feel necessary to recycle until there is any monetary gain involved in it.
- Recycling Does not Make a Difference
One big misconception people have is that recycling does not make any difference. They don’t really have the knowledge about the amount of recycled items and its quantity. People also believe that earth’s natural resources are in abundance.
- No Wish to be Green
There are people who don’t care about the global warming and pollution. These things are very low on their priority list. Hence, they lack the motivation to contribute to an initiative like recycling for a green-friendly environment.
We humans have done a lot of harm to the atmosphere over the years. Global warming is a result of our mistakes. Recycling can prevent wastage of natural resources. It can prevent pollution, can save the environment, and helps to create more useful items. So it is our responsibility towards the environment and we should also teach others to recycle if we want to save our planet.
RECYCLING ESSAY 4 (500 WORDS)
Recycling includes the procedure of collecting waste materials and breaking them down into building blocks that can be turned into new products. There are mainly five kinds of waste materials. These include paper, steel, glass, aluminum and plastic. All these are recycled using different methodologies.
The Procedure of Recycling
Here is how different things are recycled and made to be used again:
Paper – Paper waste contains paper sheets, newspapers, cardboards and other printed papers used in offices, educational institutes etc. Paper is made of 2 components – wood & water. So through recycling, the paper is first broken down into these 2 component parts to reform it. The contamination like ink and dirt is filtered out. Paper is compiled and is given a hot water bath. This bath quickly breaks the paper down into tiny strands of cellulose fiber, giving a mushy substance called ‘PULP’ – basically wet lumpy paper. The paper is still dirty though. Further, it is forced into a screen where remaining dirt is taken out like glue or plastic particles. Then it is sent to D-inker where another bath is given which contains air bubbles and soap like chemical called ‘Surfactant’ that separates the paper from the ink. Air bubbles carry the ink up to the surface and pulp which sinks to the bottom. That pulp is now clean and can be formed into new paper products.
Steel – Steel can be recycled over and over again without losing any of its properties. With the help of the liquid floating system, high air-pressure system, steel is separated from other metal and then it is cut down further by Hydraulic machinery by exerting enormous pressure. Sometimes gas and plasma arch are used too. Steel is then melted down and shaped into new items like – cans, utensils, car parts, paper clips etc.
Glass – Glass is shattered and broken down into tiny pieces called ‘Cullet’ which are no longer than 5 cm wide. Glass pieces are sorted into colored, clear, brown and green color. Differentiating colors is important as it is permanent. Glass is made of Silica, which is melted down and molded into new shapes and products.
Aluminum – Similar to steel, once it is separated there is nothing much to do with it when it comes to making aluminum re-usable. It’s shredded, washed and turned into chips, which are melted in a large furnace and then poured into molds. Then they are shipped to manufacturers where they are melted again and rolled into thin sheets that can be cut, bent and shaped into new products.
Plastic – Plastic is made of one of 6 different types of chemicals – Polyethylene terephthalate, high-density polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, low-density polyethylene, polypropylene and polystyrene. Each plastic has a different molecular structure which determines the physical properties of the plastic, which means some plastic is easier to recycle than the others. Plastic is made of large carbon chains so some of the forms of plastic can be melted down and reformed while others can be mixed with new plastic and yet others can only be molded into other shapes for different uses.
Almost anything can be recycled and waste can be given new shape for re-usage but still there are some items and materials like computers, batteries, light bulb etc which are complex to recycle as they largely contain toxins. Hence, we must dispose of them responsibly.
RECYCLING ESSAY 5 (600 WORDS)
We humans have done lot of harm to the atmosphere over the years. Global warming is a result of our mistakes. Recycling can prevent wastage of natural resources. It can prevent pollution; can save the environment and help create more useful items. Recycling is a vital factor in preserving natural resources and greatly contributes towards improving the environment.
Recycling in and around the home is quite simple once you have the knowledge. By thinking rigorously regarding what product you purchase at the food market and the way to recycle them is the beginning towards economical recycling.
- Recycling different household materials – Many materials are often recycled like paper, plastic, metal, and glass. Alternative things like an article of furniture, equipment, artifact, and vehicles can also be recycled however many of us don’t typically try to do that.
- Buy a product that may be recycled – When looking at the grocery, purchase products that may be recycled simply like glass jars and tin cans.
- Buy merchandise that is made up of recycled material – You can tell if a product is eco-friendly by viewing the label on the packaging.
- Avoid shopping of unsafe material – It is troublesome to recycle the product that contains unsafe waste. Try and realize safer alternatives to house cleaners and get non-toxic products whenever possible.
- Recycle bins – Make sure you’ve got a recycle bin in your home. Keep it in a clear place thus you won’t forget to use it. Your native council ought to be able to offer you with a recycle bin that may be used for materials like glass, paper, aluminum, and plastic.
Recycling in the Garden
By recycling garden products and planting trees, you can help improve the environment in your garden.
- Composting – Composting is a method where waste degrades into compost, which might then be utilized in your garden to assist plant growth. It’s a superb way to recycle garden and room waste like plant trimmings and leftover food.
- Grass Cycling – Grass cycling is a superb approach of recycling grass cuttings after mowing the lawn. Simply leave the cuttings on the bottom rather than throwing them away, they’ll develop into nutrients and act as a fertilizer within the soil.
- Sow Seeds – Don’t throw away left over fruits and vegetable seeds in the dustbin. Instead sow them in your garden. Growing plants and trees will enhance the surroundings by reducing global warming and providing home for several birds and creatures.
Recycling in the Community
- Local Recycling Facilities – Recycling facilities are provided for community use. Verify wherever your local recycling facilities are and the way to use them.
- Schools and Businesses – These can play a vital role in recycling. Follow the recycling schemes provided by your faculties or at workplace and think about ways to improve them.
- Community Projects – Become involved in local community projects concerning recycling by donating cash or providing and implementing new concepts.
- Cash for Cans – This project offers cash to those who recycle their aluminum cans. There are over 500, money for cans sites around the United Kingdom. In India we have scrap dealers where we can exchange these items for cash. This is a very good initiative, therefore, we should also get involved and earn a little of additional cash by this method.
Following these simple steps we might contribute a little for the environment which shall certainly be fruitful in the long run. This would not only benefit the environment but also the individuals. So, before you throw something away, think first, if it can be reused.